Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ashley Judd Reveals Disheartening Childhood In Her New Book

Ashley Judd
Ashley Judd's memoir hit the bookstores today, April 5th.  In her shocking memoir, Ashley reveals a painful childhood (she has some good memories too!).  RadarOnline published some excerpts from her book titled, All That Is Bitter & Sweet.

"My mother, while she was transforming herself into the country legend Naomi Judd, created an origin myth for the Judds that did not match my reality," Ashley writes in the new memoir titled All That Is Bitter & Sweet.

"She and my sister [Wynonna] have been quoted as saying that our family put the 'fun' in dysfunction. I wondered: 'Who, exactly, was having all the fun? What was I missing?'"

"I was taught to believe that our lifestyle was normal and never to question it or complain, even when I was left alone for hours, sometimes days at a time, or when I was passed without warning to yet another relative," Ashley wrote.

"I loved my mother, but at the same time I dreaded the mayhem and uncertainty that followed her everywhere...I often felt like an outsider observing my mom's life as she followed her own dreams."


Ashley also recounts her experience with sexual abuse, as a child, that lead her into a deep depression.  She says,


"An old man everyone knew beckoned me into a dark, empty corner of the business and offered me a quarter for the pinball machine at the pizza place if I'd sit on his lap," Ashley said.

"He opened his arms, I climbed up, and I was shocked when he suddenly cinched his arms around me, squeezing me and smothering my mouth with his, jabbing his tongue deep into my mouth."


Sad.  I give Ashley a lot of credit for airing her "dirty laundry", but it may help give hope to someone who may be going through the same thing.


Ashley Judd at Book Signing, April 6, 2011 at B&N, NYC-Photo by PR Photos











No comments:

Post a Comment